Saturday, September 8, 2012

Fall = Cobbler Season!

I love fall. I love the cool breeze with the warm sun. I love the colors. I love the smells. I love the transition of it all. I love going to the apple orchard for my birthday and picking too many apples just because I have to have some of all of the types I like. I love bonfires and sweatshirts/sweaters. I love the food.  Late-summer produce is in full swing, early fall things are making their first appearances at the Farmer's Market, and I am a happy camper.

Blueberries are still in season! Kyle's parents went picking and brought us a big Tupperware full of the little balls of blue/purple tart zingers. I have been eating them on vanilla bean frozen yogurt with a dash (or twelve) of cinnamon for dessert and I am far from sick of it. I also just bought a spaghetti squash at the Farmer's Market to play with (I have never eaten that type of squash before, so its playtime for Annie!!). I also got the season's first pears at the market! So. Excited. Who doesn't like pears?! Warm crisp fruit flavors combined with cinnamon and ginger? Yes, please.

Pears actually remind me of Thanksgiving in Kindergarten. We had a school-wide Thanksgiving Feast where each classroom had a different food to offer. My class had Cranberry Sauce. Nobody in my class (or any other kid we knew) even liked the stuff, so making it and taking turns stirring it in the Crock-Pot before we had to carry it and share it with everyone in the gym was NOT a proud cooking moment for us (years later I would wish that I had that recipe...). Anyhow, pears! We were told that since we were feasting in the morning, to not eat a large breakfast. I love breakfast. So I ate. All I remember eating was a pear that I cut up into small pieces so it didn't look like a whole pear so my stomach would still have room for turkey and stuffing. Needless to say, I was more full than my plan had meant for me to be and I was not able to partake in as much of the feast as I would have liked. I had room for everything but the cranberry sauce. Pity.

Back to the present.

So I had these pears from the market and 'hand-picked with love' blueberries. I had a kitchen day to make some olive walnut sourdough bread and wanted to make something for dessert (which I don't make often enough). Being one of the first fall-feeling days, I decided to make a cobbler. When I fed this to Kyle after he got home from work, the reaction I got was convincingly positive; "This is f[lipp]ing awesome and you can make this any f[lipp]ing time you want". I think I will.

                                                                                                              Blueberry Pear Cobbler

3c fresh (or frozen) blueberries
3c peeled and thinly sliced pear
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2c brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated fresh ginger
1c flour
1/2c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" cubes
1 egg
2 TB cream
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (extract is fine too)

Combine fruit, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a medium bowl, stirring until everything is evenly distributed. Put mixture into a greased pie plate. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt-whisk to combine. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter (a fork will work too) until it looks like coarse corn meal and no butter pieces exceeding the size of a pea. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Pour egg, cream and vanilla in well and stir until just combined. Spoon the dough on top of the fruit mixture. Put pie plate on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.

Serve warm with whipped cream (I hand-whisked mine- 1/4c heavy cream, 1 TB powdered sugar, 1/8 tsp vanilla bean paste and WHISK LIKE MAD until it holds a peak)

Try this with other fruits too!! Pears or apples would work marvelously!


 I am GOING to make this cobbler again subbing in apples for the pears and blueberries once I go apple picking for my birthday...

No comments:

Post a Comment