Speaking of running, I have decided that I need to make it official. Telling the world via the interweb makes a declaration officially official, doesn't it? Well, I'll say it is. Here goes. Begin declaration:
I am training to participate in a 10k at the end of March, a triathlon in June, and a half-marathon in October.
Bah! I have been working from a training schedule for a few weeks, and I have realized that my body has missed being consistently active. I have learned that I truly enjoy running for the release it brings and the focus it draws. Having these goals is good for my mental structuring, keeping me moving and driving forward in a direction purely for me and my satisfaction. I don't think that I will do spectacularly in any of the races, but I want to do it; to finish it and know that I have gotten my body to that point of ability. Check those things off of my bucket list! Only I can get myself there, and if I don't make it, only I have held myself back. Here I go.
Anywho, about the food. I have been working on a Southwest Quinoa Salad for a while. I have had mushy batches, not seasoned enough batches, and most recently (with the alteration of how I cook the quinoa) not one, but TWO perfect batches. The quinoa stays fluffy NOT mushy, the flavors meld together to give spicy, sweet, tangy, and all the yummy in the world. It is quick and makes great leftovers! Here is to warming up those cold snaps with a little glimpse of what is to come in the summer.
Southwest Quinoa Salad
3TB Lime Juice
1TB Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves, pressed
1/4tsp Ancho (Chipotle) Powder
Salt, Pepper, and Cayenne to taste
1c Quinoa, rinsed well
2c Cooked Black Beans (can use canned, I prefer cooking my own-they are less mushy)
1c Cherry Tomatoes, halved
3/4c Corn Kernels, fresh or frozen
1/4c Chopped Cilantro
Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, garlic, ancho powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Set aside. Cook quinoa in a pot of salted boiling water (as you would pasta) uncovered until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a wire sieve, then set the sieve over the pot with about an inch of water in the bottom of the pan (water should not touch the bottom of the sieve). Cover quinoa with a kitchen towel and cover with lid (it is okay if the cover does not fit tightly). Steam over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, remove lid, and let stand covered with the towel for another 5 minutes. Add quinoa to the dressing, tossing to evenly coat. Toss in corn, beans, tomatoes, and cilantro. Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
| I used red quinoa because that is what I had in my pantry, but white would work just fine. |
When I saw this method of cooking quinoa on Epicurious, I was a little concerned. I thought it sounded like a lot of work to make quinoa that will probably still get mushy once you combine it warm with the dressing, but it doesn't! It was easy, and the quality and consistency of what I have been getting is worth it hands down. Even Kyle noticed a difference and he didn't know what quinoa was until I made it for him when we started dating.
I can't wait until summer when I can use cilantro from my garden, tomatoes and corn from the farmer's market, and throw in some fresh chives or scallions. Eat this over a green salad on the porch with a cold beverage of choice, and I am set. With quinoa and beans being packed with protein, this will have to be a main-stay in my grain salad repertoire not only for its health factor, but for its downright flipping edible deliciousness on a spoonness.
Eat well and challenge yourself! What is your goal for the year? Forget resolutions; they tend to fade. Goals are that delicious organic carrot dangling in front of you that only YOU can get. I love carrots, so I am going for it this year.
Cheers!
UPDATE!! I made Avocado Pasta again this week, but I made it sans bacon, and with lots of veggies! Sauteed mushrooms, onions, orange bell pepper, and steamed broccoli...oooh...I know you wish you had some...Just saying. I would say BOTH ways are worth a try on your part :) You just might become an avo-advocate too!
No comments:
Post a Comment