Friday, March 29, 2013

We Are "Those" Neighbors

Kyle and I like to cook. We have fun planning meals, creating new ideas, trying new things, presenting them, and of course eating them. One thing that we are really good at is making our apartment smell really good. On any given weeknight when other people are throwing together Hamburger Helper, we are putting together Spanakopita, broiled fish with a cranberry-wine sauce, the ever-easy and quick (but deeelish) corn and bean tacos with homemade tortillas, or not-from-a-can soup and homemade bread.
Aside from the split pea soup that is on the stove right now, this was the latest soup I made;
Curried Butternut Soup with Red Peppers and Rice. Coconut milk made it awesome...
We don't always make a big deal of breakfast, but some weekend mornings may smell like bacon, apple pancakes, muffins, scones, or french toast, and always coffee. I'd be lying if I said that we had never opened our door to waft the smells into the hallway...*guilty*

This morning was an oatmeal kind of morning. I wanted something different though, so I made a baked oatmeal. It has a consistency similar to bread pudding, making it sliceable and delectable. Its a powerhouse breakfast that is filling, full of the good stuff, and tasty :) The flavors are totally flexible too, so instead of the dates and cranberries, throw in 1c of fresh apples instead! Or what about fresh blueberries?! Or 1/2c chocolate chips and 1c of raspberries/strawberries? Yes, please. Banana Nut baked oatmeal? Add another banana! Don't want the banana in there? Foggettaboutit. This is a new standard recipe in this household. The neighbors will know it by smell.
Lighting in my kitchen is far less than ideal, in case you couldn't tell.
It is less flattering than bad lights on a runway.
I hope you get the gist of it though...Tasty as heck!!
Baked Oatmeal
2c Rolled Oats
1/8c-1/3c Brown Sugar (big range, I know, but base it on your taste. 1/3c was really sweet)
1tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Cinnamon
1/2tsp All-Spice
1tsp Dried Grated Orange Peel
1/2tsp Salt
1/4c Almonds (up to 1c of nuts if you want, or omit. This was all I had left in the cupboard)
1/3c Chopped Dried Dates
1/3c Chopped Dried Cranberries
2c Milk (I used almond milk, but any type would work well)
1 Egg
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Ripe Banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 375〫F. Grease 9"x9" baking dish (I used my trusty oval Le Creuset) and set aside. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients, including fruit and nuts.


 In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, milk, egg, and vanilla.  Pour over dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40min, or until lightly golden and the center is set.
On its way into the oven!
Slice and Enjoy!
This keeps really well, so make it in the evening and have breakfast for the week! Just slice and heat it up if you like (it is good cold, too). I think this would make a really good alternative to the Easter Egg Bake that everyone makes. Or at least it makes a good sweet counterpart to the brunch buffet. 

I hope everyone has a splendid Easter weekend! I will be celebrating on Saturday by running my first 10k (the first spring thunderstorm is possible, or at least one forecast told me so). Rain or shine, I am excited to challenge myself and my speed. Sunday I will be at my parents' house baking dinner rolls and orange cookies to accompany dinner and playing lots of cribbage. It will be a wonderful smelling house. Now if only the neighbors could smell it...

No comments:

Post a Comment