Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Three Times The Charm!

Sourdough is so cool. Like, really flipping awesomely cool.  You start by putting flour and water together, let the natural yeast spores grow, acids develop, bacteria grows, and it all works together to make a fantastic loaf of bread.

It will never get old for me. Ever.

Since I started working with breads more intensely (trying more recipes to learn and get a handle on what is going on, rather than 'just winging it' to hopefully get something I can eat), I have had a book stare me in the face; Tartine Bread. If you don't know about it, find it. It is a bread bakery in Northern California and is worthy of every bit of national attention it has gotten. The book intimidated me. It was my ultimate "if only I could do it" book of bread inspiration. Not only is the cover stunning, the words, recipes, and pictures are inspiring, motivating and drool worthy.

I have done it. Thrice.

The first time I made it was for a Fall Gala I threw for coworkers last fall. There was autumn-inspired food, drink, and merriment along with stories and laughs we all needed with each other. It was my sourdough debut.  Not perfect, but it was a start.

The second time I made it was just a couple of weeks ago. I had let the book sit (still inspiring) until I had my sourdough starter going for a good month. I made two loaves from my Tartine book and another (less unsuccessful) loaf from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads. I used the same starter for both and it was fun to have a whole-wheat sourdough. It tasted wheaty with a sourdough aftertaste (something to keep in my repertoire just in case the need for such a thing comes up...).  It was the Tartine loaves that made me fall in love.



Today was the third time. I made one loaf and am going to make pizzas with the other half of the dough. I can't describe my excitement for the possibility of such a beautiful, delicious blistery crust coming out of my oven. I also have the baguettes on my to-do list in the next week or two (honestly, it just might have to be tomorrow...)


Tartine Bread has recipes and variations of their Basic Country Loaf. If you bake bread or even if you just like eating it, this book is worth having. It is a story filled with pictures and recipes that inspire. The way Chad Robertson talks about bread is romantic and dreamy. The bread he has created is the same.

All in all, I have a bread book love affair.

Duh-Duh-Duh (If you have ever seen Reading Rainbow, I feel like one of the children giving a synopsis and review of a book.)

1 comment: