I have really been feeling the change of seasons this year. It happened fast with the weather and once the changes were realized, it is nothing less than refreshing. The change has been happening deep in my gut. I see changes outside, feel personal changes and growth, and the food!! Or at least the hunger for food! In the summer I crave salads, cheese and fruit plates with assorted breads and veggies, lighter fares to lighten the heavy heat that bares down for four months. With temperatures dipping down to cool, I have been craving heavy, hearty, settling meals that stick with you.
A week or so ago, I had had it. I wanted Mac n Cheese. I don't like the boxed stuff-had enough of that as a kid. So I went to my kitchen and saw what I had, and made the heck out of it. It isn't a recipe that was finalized, but something rich and heavy that satisfied. And used the produce I had on hand.
| Just beautiful. Assorted cherry tomatoes from the farmers market to add color, freshness, and zing. |
| Finely chopped celery, red onion, minced garlic, and grated carrot. Saute over high heat quickly to add flavor and start their cooking |
| Made a roux with browned butter, flour, and milk, added cheeses, fresh herbs, and lots of fresh cracked pepper!! |
| Put it all together in a baking dish and bake until bubbly. It just might be heavy enough to need a nice fresh green salad on the side. |
No comments:
Post a Comment