Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Have I mentioned How Much I Love Autumn?

Yes. I know I have. I just can't help myself. I know I have written about my love of the color changes, the temperature changes, the change in the air, the breaking out of scarves and hats, hot toddies to warm you up after a long walk with the dog on a brisk evening...I. Love. Autumn.

Recently, I not only have had a change of season according to the calender, but also in my routine and lifestyle. I was physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted and a change was needed for myself. I was immensely supported by my friends/coworkers/employers at my job in the coffee shop kitchen/bakery where I have worked for over 4 years to transition to a new job. I am now employed by the public school district and work with kindergarden through second graders on reading and math (along with patrolling lunch and kindergarden recess...never a dull moment, I tell ya!).  Last week was my first week at the school and two days into my second week, I am still loving it.

Ever since I got a job early in high school, I have almost never had a weekend where I don't work, so M-F is an adjustment for me. A pleasant one, though. I have a lot of time to play in the kitchen, meaning we have been eating out much less (which is really nice). AND speaking of weekends and autumn....guess what I finally was able to do?! Go to the apple orchard. Saturday morning in mid-October was a bit chilly and cloudy, but it was perfect. Of course, we had to eat at least half a dozen apples in the orchard while we were picking (Haralson and Keepsakes were our favorites), rode the tractor through the orchard, and came home with smiles and the plan to do it again next year.
So many perfect apples on a crisp day in October!

CRUNCH!

I. Love. Orchards.

This orchard is on the edge of the Minnesota River Valley and you can see for miles!
Kyle was having a 'perfectly happy and content' moment.
I came home with the plan of finally making the apple turnovers I have been thinking of since apple season was just coming upon us. The recipe is original, in that I played Dr. Frankenstein with a few different puff pastry and filling recipes in order to get my desired product (a little bit of shortening for a crisper crust, flour added to the filling to thicken the juice to make it usable in the turnover, etc). My result was quite pleasant. Enjoy.

Annie's Apple Turnovers

Puff Pastry
3c All-Purpose Flour
1TB Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1c Unsalted Butter, Cold
1/2c Vegetable Shortening, Cold
2tsp Lemon Juice
1/2c - 2/3c Ice Water

Dice the butter and shortening and freeze for 10 minutes. Whisk dry ingredients together. Add chilled butter and shortening to flour mixture and toss to coat. Make a well in the center. Combine 1/2c ice water with lemon juice. Pour into well and mix with a fork until dough forms, adding more ice water 1TB at a time until dough holds together without dry patches. Dump dough onto the counter. Gather into a ball and fraisage 2-3 times to smear the butter and shortening throughout the dough (there will still be larger bits, which is okay-rolling will take care of those). Gather the dough into a brick, wrap, freeze for 1hr. Roll chilled brick into a 15x10 rectangle. 




















Fold lengthwise into thirds, then starting at the bottom, fold up towards the top 3 times to make a coil. Press this into a rectangle and repeat the folding and rolling 2 more times, refrigerating as needed to keep the dough from getting too warm and sticky. Wrap and refrigerate your final small rectangle for 1hr. 


Roll into a 20x20 square. Cut into 4x4 inch squares (25 total). Refrigerate until needed.






Filling
6c Haralson Apples, Thinly Sliced and Halved 
3/4c Brown Sugar
3 TB Flour
2tsp Lemon Juice
1/2tsp Cinnamon
1/4tsp Ground Ginger
1/8tsp Ground Nutmeg
3TB Unsalted Butter
2TB Currants

In a large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, and spices. Let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to re-coat the apples. Brown the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the apple mixture and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently until the sauce at the bottom has thickened to a caramel sauce consistancy. Remove from heat, stir in the currants, and chill completely.

Assembly
 1 Egg, Whisked

Using a pastry brush, brush the outer edges of the pastry square with the egg wash. Scoop a heaping 1/8c filling into the pastry and fold shut, pinching the edges or using a fork to seal.

My three favorite ways of folding my turnovers were in half, creating a rectangle, corner to corner creating a triangle, or bringing all four corners together in the center to create a satchel.  Chill for 30 minutes.  You can also freeze them at this point. Thaw in the refrigerator 12hrs before you plan on baking them.

Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cut vents on top if you wish. Bake 375F for about 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment