I have been dealing with a strange thing lately. I have been immersed in food during my work day for so long that I don't know what it is like to NOT think about food, brainstorm ideas for what to make with what is in stock in the pantry, be on the constant search for good recipes, or think of new and different flavor combinations every waking moment of the day. That is because not only has it been part of my job for years, but also because it truly is something I love doing. I love food. I love making it, eating it, planning it, experimenting with it, serving it. I have more time to do all of this with my new job, and I have been loving it. I am the head chef in my own kitchen and I can do what I want. My ideas don't always pan out, but I am allowing myself to produce something simply for the joy of creation and sharing. Something tangible comes out of my love of food, and I feel like I am producing more out of my love for food than I have ever done. Cooking and baking is a healing tool for me, and I have been healing myself. I hadn't realized how much I needed to prove to myself.
I don't often make desserts at home. Not because I don't like to, but because a huge batch of cookies isn't as nourishing and sustainable as a big pot of split pea soup and sourdough baguette. I have been having a lot of fun stocking my 'sweets' recipes recently however. Kyle made pumpkin truffles with just a hint of spice to them and they are FABULOUS. This put me in a pumpkin kick and like anyone, I wanted cookies. What better time for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies than the present? October and November just ask for these cookies to be made and shared.
I found this recipe on the Food Network website, and they are delish. The pumpkin keeps the cookies soft and give them an almost cake-like crumb. I brought a big plate of them to work with me and they were gone by lunch time. I will be making them again.
| The beauty of cookie basics; butter and sugar. Unfortunately this is the only picture I got of the cookies before my camera battery died. |
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from foodnetwork.com)
1c unsalted butter, room temperature
1c white sugar
1c brown sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
1c canned pumpkin puree
3c all-purpose flour
2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp ground nutmeg
1/4tsp ground cloves
2c chocolate chips (milk chocolate or dark preferred, but semi-sweet is fine)
Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the vanilla and pumpkin. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds while mixing on low. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop by heaping tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets, lightly pressing down so the dough makes small pucks rather than balls. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until just starting to lightly brown. Allow to rest on the pan for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Here's to making what we love, for those we love, because we love it.
Cheers.
No comments:
Post a Comment