Sunday, December 9, 2012

Staying Warm With Booze and Bread!

We have officially gotten snow. It has been a strangely warm winter and we had gotten less than an inch of snowfall this winter as of earlier this week (the average is is 12 inches at this point in the season!). Oof. So you can imagine how a Minnesota girl reacts when the first snowfall comes and everything is blanketed in white. I walked to the co-op to get groceries and loved every snowy step, I shoveled the decks and stairways outside my apartment when I didn't need to. Why? Because I am reveling in the newness of it. I won't say I will be talking this romantically about winter in another two months, but right now in this moment I am enjoying it. The quiet snowfall is beautifully silent, everything is dreamily peaceful when the wind decides to stay calm, and even though it is cold outside, I can go inside to warm up with a mug of homemade hot chocolate, a cup of coffee, a mug of tea, or a hot toddy (which I am enjoying right this very moment). I like them with a little citrus, warming cinnamon, and a hint of sweet. Here is my perfect Hot Toddy.


Annie's Hot Toddy
2 oz Apple Brandy
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
 Honey-Dipped Spoon
1-2 Dashes of Cinnamon
Hunk of Orange Peel
Hot Water to Fill Mug

Put apple brandy, lemon juice, piece of orange peel from your just-enjoyed orange and cinnamon in your favorite mug. Dip your spoon in your honey pot, allowing as much or little to drip of as you like (depending on how sweet you like it). Pour hot water over to fill your mug, stir with your sweet spoon, and enjoy. 

I also enjoy a non-alcoholic version of a Hot Toddy. It is made with tea so I call it a Hot Teaddy! Steep your favorite herbal tea (Honeybush tea is awesome) with your hot water and dress it up as above! Go ahead and add the apple brandy if you want tea AND brandy-that is quite delicious too!


Aside from delicious warm drinks, delicious warm food is always a comfort in the snowy months. Not only do you get to eat them, but you get to warm your home and body while making them!! And since it gets dark at 4pm I need to find some way to bide my time! Cooking and baking always like to fill my evening hours (along with watching The Office on Netflix, but that doesn't have much to do with the kitchen, nor is it fun to read about me watching something, so moving on...) 

Maple syrup on my oatmeal is one of the best thing ever (just after the smell of fresh bread or bacon). Brown sugar can go with it, maybe toss in some golden raisins or dried cranberries, and you are set for a delicious breakfast with a cup of coffee. I have found this flavor in a bread. It is fantastic toasted with jam, or fill it with ham or turkey for a sandwich (both are delicious). Or make it into rolls to serve with your dinner for a family holiday gathering (it was at my Thanksgiving table). I guess you could say it is a great everyday bread that can be dressed up for special occasions. It is full of fiber from the oats and sweetness from the maple. It is a fairly fast bread that has been a regular on my bread line-up. Definitely a keeper. I only wish I had a jug of Hakes Brudder's Maple Syrup (hint, grandpa!) Kyle's brother and dad made their first batch of syrup this past spring and this was a fun way to present their syrup to them at the Thanksgiving table.

Maple Oatmeal Bread
Adapted from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

2 1/2 c Boiling Water
1c Rolled Oats
2 1/4 tsp Dry Active Yeast
3/4c Real Maple Syrup
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1TB Canola Oil (or any other neutral flavored oil)
5c All-Purpose Unbleached Flour (can sub 1 1/2 c oat flour)
egg white, whisked until foamy
oats for sprinkling

*organic and local ingredients are always preferred

This was before I thought of the egg wash and oat sprinkle...Still pretty though!

In a large mixing bowl, pour boiling water over oats and stir to mix. Let soak for 1 hour. Sprinkle the yeast over the cooled oatmeal and stir in along with maple syrup, salt, oil, and 3 cups of flour. Stir ingredients to combine-it will have the consistency of a heavy batter. Cover the bowl and set aside for 1 hour.  Add additional flour, 1/2 c at a time, until a dough forms. Dump out of the bowl onto a lightly floured counter and knead for 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking too much (the dough will be a bit tacky, so be careful not to add too much flour). Divide in two, shape into loaves, and place in oiled 8"x4" loaf pans, pressing dough to fit the pan. Cover and let rise for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, until dough reaches the rim of the pan. Preheat oven to 350F 15 minutes before baking. Uncover dough, brush with egg white and sprinkle with oats. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and internal temperature reads 200F. Cool on baking rack. 



To make dinner rolls, divide into 18 equal parts, shape into tight balls by rolling on the counter, placing in 2 greased 9"x9" baking dishes. Baking will be cut almost in half. Cool on baking rack.

This bread freezes well too, so if you don't want to run the risk of losing a loaf of bread, freeze one! 

Enjoy the season! 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment