My work schedule has changed and could possibly change again in the coming weeks. I go to work half an hour earlier to help kids get out of their cars. Seriously. This is part of my job. Kids don't quite know how to coordinate their bodies yet, and I always have a smile on my face helping them get out of the car with backpacks, huge winter coats, and huge mittens obliterating any dexterity that they have picked up in their first five years of life. Adorable. I am enjoying the addition of extra hours to my day because kids make me smile so dang much I almost can't get enough of it.
I have also had some Norwex shows/parties that I have presented. I have been a consultant for a mere three months and have found myself really enjoying it. I love the products, the mission behind the company, and the opportunities to get together with people. I never thought I would be in the direct sales world, and I am glad that I found myself in this particular company and niche within DS; none other would be nearly as satisfying, rewarding, or true to my beliefs as this company is.
So. Now that Christmas is over, the New Year has come, and life is back in the swing of things, what have I been cooking?! I have been craving Korean food from a certain restaurant that we used to go to with my aunt and uncle. And the Korean food my friend's dad would make in high school for my friend's birthday. Kind of barbeque but with an Asian attitude....So today I made something to satisfy that craving. It is bite size and better than any boxed frozen TGIFriday's appetizer out there. I made Korean Barbeque Won Ton Tacos. What a mash-up. I was uncertain if it was something worth posting (is it something worth presenting to others? Do other people really crave and enjoy these things like I do?) I put them to the test. I had my family try them and they were approved with licked fingers, nods, and closed eyes.
Korean Won Ton Tacos (yield: about 30)
3 Chicken Breasts, Thawed
1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
1/2c Barbeque Sauce (sweeter sauce preferred)
3/4 tsp Fresh Grated Ginger
1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
3 Cloves Garlic, Pressed
1/2-1 tsp Sriracha (to taste)
1 1/2c Cooked Black Beans
1/2c Corn, Fresh or Frozen
Won Ton or Pot Sticker shells
3/4c Grated Cheese (I used a combination of Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack)
Sour Cream and Avocado for serving
Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft and translucent, about 5 min.
| In a separate bowl combine barbeque sauce, ginger, toasted sesame oil, garlic, and Sriracha. |
| Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and shred using two forks. Once chicken is shredded, add sauce from the pan, beans, corn, and cheese. Stir to combine. |
To fill shells, lay won ton shells flat, dampen two edges if round or two corners if square with water, and spoon a heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture into the center. Press damp edges or corners together to hold shell closed. Place on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet and brush outside of tacos lightly with olive oil. Bake at 375deg for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden and crisp. Serve with avocado and sour cream.
Because there were so many, I froze a lot of them (before baking them, of course). I am excited to have these little suckers at the ready when we want a snack or a quick appetizer thrown together for a get-together (or for me when my blood-sugar gets low...nobody likes to see that monster).
As I was making these, I was also thinking about different variations. They could become vegetarian by using stir-fried veggies (carrots, celery, cabbage, green onion) and/or tofu. I think the tofu would really stand up well with this sauce. Cilantro could be added. You could use shredded beef if you like (Bulgogi is a Korean barbeque beef dish that was always my cousin's favorite).
This was my first time ever using won ton shells, and I had fun with them! I will be using them again for sure!!
All in all, I am glad to be back writing about my yummies. With all of the Christmas parties, holiday get-togethers for this group and that group, and all of the food eaten at all of these, not enough meals have been made in my kitchen. As much as I love the holidays, it is good to be home.
Cheers!! (and a belated Happy New Year!)
No comments:
Post a Comment