Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lemon-Ginger Kabobs with Spiced Rice. Roasted Potatoes too!

Let's just pretend it is nice outside. I mean, 65 degrees isn't bad, but I could really use some sun. I have a January mentality in June! Bring on the sunshine and lake trips!

Last week Kyle and I happened to have an evening to have dinner and it happened to be the only two hour chunk of time all week that was sunny. I had the day off and had dinner all planned out in my head. I was determined to use the grill, so thank goodness for the chunk of sunshine!

The Kabobs
2 Chicken Breasts, cut into 1 1/2" cubes/chunks/pieces/hunks
1/4c Lemon Juice
2 TB Canola or Olive Oil
1 Clove of Garlic, thinly sliced
1" Piece of Ginger, grated
1 Shallot, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
1 TB Agave Nectar or Honey
2 tsp Fresh Basil, julienned
Large Pinch Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Freshly Cracked Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes to taste

In a medium bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together (except for the chicken. Chicken is hard to whisk). Put un-whisked chicken into bowl with marinade. Cover, refrigerate overnight. 

1 Zucchini, cut into 1/4" disks
1 Onion, chopped into large wedges
1 Red Pepper, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
1 Yellow or Orange Pepper, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
1TB Lemon Juice
1 TB Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic, pressed
Large Pinch Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Freshly Cracked Pepper

Toss these goodies all together and let them sit for an hour or so while you get the grill started and open a bottle of wine or beer.


Skewer the veggies and chicken on soaked wood skewers or metal skewers in a creative and colorful way of your choosing. Grill for 15 minutes or so (until the chicken is thoroughly cooked).

Sneak Peek at the finished products. Kabobs served with rice and roasted potatoes.

The Rice
This is a pretty standard spiced basmati rice with almonds and raisins. Delicious with the marinated chicken and veggies.

1 tsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Butter
1" Cinnamon Stick
2 Whole Cloves
1c Basmati Rice
1 3/4c Water
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/4-1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Ground Cardamom
Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
1/2c Raisins
1/4c Almonds, toasted and chopped

Heat oil and butter in a heavy skillet over low heat. Add cinnamon stick and cloves, stirring until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add water, turmeric, salt, and cardamom, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender (15-20 minutes). Discard the cloves and cinnamon stick. Stir in the raisins and toasted almonds.

I served the kabobs and rice with a cucumber tzatziki sauce, but plain yogurt would have been delicious as well. I also made some roasted red potatoes with capers, red peppers, shallot, and garlic, and after roasting tossed in some blue cheese. Yum. 

We enjoyed our meal together on the porch (first time this summer!!). While we were out there, our neighbor's mother commented on the fact that the two of us had actually managed to have a meal together. That was kind of funny...Even she-who-does-not-live-here-but-I-guess-is-here-often-enough-to-know-what-goes-on-and-what-our-schedules-are knows that we don't get a meal together very often. That made us appreciate it that much more. 

ALSO! I am making my sourdough starter again! This past fall and winter I got away from making my sourdough at home (new schedule and defeated attitude both played a role), but I have truly missed my own sourdough loaf. I am excited to be bringing that part of me back to the surface because I truly love doing it. There will be bread in coming posts, as well as the delicious food that I eat with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment