Over Memorial Day weekend, I ran the Med-City Marathon Relay in Rochester, MN. I knew going in that I was the least experienced runner on my team (the others being my 6th grade cousin who has a few half-marathons under his belt...another being my uncle who has been running marathons since college, and the other being Kyle's sister who is a speedy little runner and is a half-marathon veteran and is training for her first full marathon). I was excited to just get out there and run and test myself, not compare myself to others. I ended up with the longest leg of the relay and it was a good run. I ran through tree-covered trails, through residential streets, through parks and over a bridge to my finish line. It was a cool day (in the 40s and misty/raining) but there were people who sat outside just to cheer the runners on. They kept a smile on my face and my feet a little lighter. Because of the cold weather, I was sure to thank a good handful of them because they were choosing to stand in the less than ideal weather to encourage and support other people on their runs. I give them and the race-day adrenaline credit for the ease of my run, where I surprised myself with a PR! My leg of the race was 6.8 miles and I averaged 8:29 minute miles (if the distance was correct on the course). My 10k time was 9:10 minute miles.
Now that my schedule has opened up a few mornings each week and a few evenings each week, I am excited to train for my half-marathon. I have my goals set, my training schedule established, and now it is up to me to make it happen.
I love running because it is purely up to me to make what I want happen. There are other factors, but when it comes down to it, it is me and only me that can achieve my goals, get through the mental aspect of it, and come out stronger on all levels. And the great thing is, anyone can do it. Start at whatever level/ability you are at, and it is your choice to get stronger or not. You make the journey what you want it to be and you get out of it what you decide. I will never be elite, but I will be the strongest I can be.
I had an idea of what was going into this post, but it turned out completely different. Keep your eyes and ears out for my next recipe that I will put out this week. Kabobs, rice, potatoes, grill....there is your preview...
Until next time, be well and eat well!
No comments:
Post a Comment